Did Stephen Paddock Have Asperger’s Disorder? Does That Explain What He Did?

The explanation for the carnage in Las Vegas may be as mundane as this: Stephen Paddock may have had Asperger’s Disorder—part of the spectrum of autistic disorders.

Now, please note the fact that the vast, vast majority of people who suffer with autism spectrum disorders do not harm anyone.  They are brave victims of mental illness and perpetrators of nothing. Also, I did not, of course, examine Mr. Paddock.

Stephen Paddock displayed, however, many signs of Asperger’s Disorder.

He was reported by his neighbors to lack usual social graces.  A wave or hello to him might well not be returned.

He was reportedly gifted with numbers, and this gift allowed him to profit as a gambler.  Such gifts are, inexplicably, often part of Asperger’s Disorder.

He moved near Las Vegas to play video games.  It doesn’t much matter that the video games were video poker and that he was a gambler.  Fascination with video games is very common amongst those with autism spectrum disorder.

He had two relatively short marriages, potentially because his partners realized that Mr. Paddock displayed the inflexibility and obsessive thinking typical of Asperger’s Disorder.

He was fascinated with firearms and collected them to an extraordinary extent—another obsessive preoccupation.

Many patients with Asperger’s Disorder become progressively more enraged as they note their tendency to fail in relationships, to lose employment and to lack the ability for joy.  And, sometimes, that feeling of being on the outside of everything makes them want to destroy everything.

I know this from my 25 years practicing forensic psychiatry, including my treating many people with Asperger’s. Some of these people shared with me thoughts of harming many others, and I took the proper precautions to prevent that.

Asperger’s Disorder or other disorders on the autism spectrum have, in fact, clearly been implicated in mass murders such as Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech and Aurora, Colorado.

Of course, those with Asperger’s are ideal recruits for organizations like Isis that offer an instant sense of belonging, lots of rules and an outlet for underlying feelings of violent rage.

If the FBI knows of no other conspiracy, one to consider might be this: Many people around Mr. Paddock may have profited from his genius with numbers—including family members and his girlfriend.  Celebrating his gift and receiving lots of gifts from him may have led them to willingly ignore, or may have blinded them to, his underlying suffering and growing desire to destroy others.

It may not be politically correct to say it, but saving lives demands that I state this very clearly: Despite the fact that the vast, vast majority of those with autism spectrum disorders would never hurt anyone, the mental health community must begin asking all those with autism spectrum disorders, including Asperger’s Disorder, whether they have any underlying desire to harm others or any plan to do so.  It is probably also the case that those with Asperger’s Disorder who own firearms should be screened repeatedly and far, far more carefully for any underlying violent intent.

Keith Ablow, MD

54 Comments Add yours

1. Maja Novak says:

I wonder what does this MD actually know about ASD! “They are brave victims of mental illness”??!! Seriously??!!

2. I rather doubt your credibility – despite your alleged 25 years as a psychiatrist – since you call Aspergers a “mental illness.” It is widely known and generally acknowledged that neuro-diversity is not a mental illness. We don’t want to be cured, we don’t feel sick or sad, our brain simply works differently. Thanks for trying though, “doctor.”

3. Camille says:

There is no proven fact behind anything said in this article, only your personal opinion that does nothing but demonize people on the Spectrum. It’s very unprofessional and inaccurate to diagnose someone without ever meeting them. It’s also derogatory to refer to Asperger’s as a disorder. And why are you getting away with being able to post this material? Because we who are on the Spectrum generally do not stand up for ourselves; quite the opposite of your idea that we are prone to violent tendencies.

4. Asperger’s is a mental health condition?! What?! It is a developmental disorder. And to say that people who have this condition are more likely to follow Isis? That is disgraceful, misleading, and ignorant.

5. SD says:

Awful! Asperger autism is NOT a source of “growing desire to destroy others”. What you describe seems most to be a paranoid delirium. Not autism.

6. Kari Buxton says:

Dr. Ablow- I think that it is premature and downright irresponsible to link Asperger’s Disorder with violence and mass gun shootings. People with Aspergers are individuals first-. Please stop stereotyping and making conclusions that have serious implications for a whole group of people. So-called experts like yourself will convince Asperger individuals, who may not be diagnosed yet, afraid to seek out help, because of the stigma that you and other well meaning “experts” have created.

7. Wendy Fournier says:

Wow! I’m blown away at your amazing diagnostic skills on a person you’ve never met and know nothing about. As a medical professional, shouldn’t you be advocating for your patients? Do you think it will help people with an Aspergers diagnosis to be wrongfully associated with mass murderers and viewed as someone who should be feared? You’re a disgrace to your patients and your profession.

8. I guess you missed the saying, “when you meet one person on the spectrum, then you’ve met one person on the spectrum!” Your speculation and espousing on this topic shows your true lack of understanding. As you point out in your article, “I did not, of course, examine Mr. Paddock.” That line alone shows your article is PURE SPECULATION; however, people will take the crap you’re saying seriously since you have MD after your name. So irresponsible!

9. Maire Shortt says:

pffft…autism spectrum in not mental illness, they are children who become adults who were medically injured. Stop blaming the disabled and look at psych meds and male aggression when interventions don’t happen or dangerous mismedication on mass instead of community and social care

10. Gail Selleg says:

This is an irresponsible post. Asperger’s is not diagnosed post-mortem. How ridiculous and hurtful to those with Asperger’s.

1. Kelsey says:

I am on the autistic spectrum with “mild” autism. I do not take psychotropic medications not have I ever been committed to a psychiatric ward. I have a college degree. I have a job. I own a home. I vote. I pay taxes. I am a law abiding citizen. I have not had any behavioral issues. I’ve held a Federal security clearance. I am a Christian. I have empathy. I was taught manners and respect. I worked in emergency services for over 25 years. My record as a Paramedic has been impeccable. My characteristic is that I am a social klutz. I have never considered harming another person. I have been around firearms all of my life and was taught firearm safety before I even started school. I’ve owned firearms before, a hunting rifle and a sidearm. I have prevented myself from being raped, break in while I was at home around 1 am, and at my grandparents. Nobody was injured or killed. Keep in mind that Autism is a neuro -developmental condition and not actually a mental illness. Would there be any reason for me to be denied the Second Amendment and the right to protect myself simply because I have a label because I went to find out why I was a social klutz and did not fit in well in social circles? In addition, I know my strengths and my weakness. My faith gets me through frustrations that an Aspie may have. I will defend myself if I need to and that would be in a case where my death or severe bodily harm to me would be imminent.

11. marytormey says:

The big problem here is, that the primary sources of information are very controlled. We have very big pharmaceutical companies routinely, violating the Nuremberg code, raising money, defrauding the public and getting ride of witnesses. The mass killings you mention, where Autism is implicated “Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech and Aurora, Colorado” all seem to link into researchers the misspending of money collected for people with Autism and promoting eugenics…Look at the victims Sandy Hook victims where Jr first graders, (all developmentally delayed) along with 2 ABA therapists and a few teachers. Virginia Tech Victims where mostly people who did fundraisers or helped with research such as professors and frat kids. The Aurora, Colorado shooter was a graduate student who worked in neuroscience research, few connections and poor verbal skills, makes for easy patsies. If Stephen Paddock really knew how to cheat the casino’s, and refused to stop, it would give the casino that gave him a free room and controlled the narrative a motive to murder him…Might be enlightening to research the victims more.

12. Donnie Miller Dotson says:

How on earth can a Physician even project an opinion on a person that he never examined or even met? In my personal opinion this Doctor should loose his license to practice medicine. Think of the harm this Doctor has brought to the innocent people that are on the Spectrum! Shame on him.

13. Charl says:

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to decide he must be autistic. And the vast majority of us don’t “suffer” from autism (we actually love the brains that give us an intense interest in the world around us and beyond as well as fantastic pattern recognition, logic and great memories) and it is not a mental illness. An illness is something you can get treatment for. Autism is a neurological difference. No better, no worse – just different. Often highly intelligent, extremely honest and always wanting to do the right thing. I have never had an urge to hurt anybody, but thank you for thinking I need to ask myself that question. I think you have a very misguided view on autism sadly, but hey ho .. each to their own 🙂

14. angry aspie 97 says:

What a load of shit !!!!
    Most aspies have a heightened sense of right and wrong and would not “join ISIS” or just randomly shoot people.

15. Margaret Pickering says:

Such a total load of bullshit. How dare you diagnose someone you’ve never met? What happened to professionalism?

16. This blog is both harmful and disgusting!! You are perpetuating stigma against people with Asperger’s, making other people think they are capable of such monstrosity! Unfounded nonsense like this causes fear and hate of people with Asperger’s, which only leads to rejection, bullying, and even abuse. Just because someone is anti-social doesn’t mean they have Asperger’s. There are many conditions that cause someone to be anti-social, including Antisocial Personality Disorder, which is a common condition for monsters who carry out these types of crimes. So stop trying to pin it on innocent Autistics. They do not deserve to be labeled this way!!

17. Jon says:

Bollox. I’m ADHD/ASD. Base covered when you say not all but ADHD/ASD are not mental health conditions, they are neuro-developmental issues. Please get facts straight.

18. Dave says:

Elliot Rogers is another example.

19. Stephanie Martens says:

Asperger’s is not a mental illness. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. Maybe if you had Asperger’s, you’d get your facts straight.

20. Worst article ever.
    More Autistics will die because of this word-vomit.

21. This is dangerous speculation. I am very surprised a member of the medical profession would engage in it. He should be investigated by his professional body and appropriate action taken. Autistic individuals suffer enough from social exclusion and hate crimes as it is without baseless and unethical interventions such as this.

22. Denisa says:

I agree with many of your points, however Aspergers is not a mental illness. He may have had or developed co-existing mental illness though.

23. Kamil Fuchs says:

Difficulties in life alone, or difficulties + Asperger = possibility to develop personality disorders, which can lead to violent harmful behaviour. Asperger has little to nothing to do with it. It is not a predisposition.

I find it therefore strange to ask the autistic community to try to prevent the problem, reminds me of -people complaining about Muslims because of terrorist attacks,
    -blaming black communities for gang violence.

This just illustrates the poor image medical and mental health professionals have of us, and the stigma they perpetuate. Do you know how many disabled people, including autistic people, are killed every year? This really doesn’t help.

Work on your beliefs, inform yourself at the source (us) then we can hope the public opinion will be more accepting and inclusive toward us. You are their source for their social, medical and cultural vision of autism.

24. Lucas says:

You are a stupid retard. You opinion and view of people on the spectrum is that of an uninformed baboon.

25. Kelly Clarke says:

Dr Ablow, I was diagnosed with ASD at age 54. I was misdiagnosed at age 11 and the experts said it was like mild autism but girls don’t get it so it’s a social-communicative-perceptual disorder that she will grow out of but will never be able to have an occupation more than something that has repetitive tasks and that does not involve abstract or critical thinking skills. I knew at an early age that I was different than most other children. As a female on the Spectrum, I wanted to be involved socially and emulated other females who I thought we’re popular. There are many older adults with undiagnosed Aspergers. Many are very productive members of society and each are different as the neurotypical population. I’ll be the first to answer the question. No. I do not have any underlying desire to harm others nor plan to do so. I have spent my life helping others. I have been a Licensed Paramedic for many years. I worked in emergency services for over 20 years. I don’t play video games. I don’t gamble. I legally own a firearm. I vote I do not have a criminal history. I’ve held a federal security clearance. With the stigma of autism spectrum disorders, I would probably not have been able to enjoy these freedoms. On the flipside, I’ve had a difficult time maintaining friendships despite trying hard to do so. I’ve lost jobs because I didn’t fit in. I was picked on a lot and taken advantage of due to being gullible and wanting relationships.
    I do not consider ASD to be a mental illness but a developmental condition. I am in control of my own faculties. I know right from wrong. I know respect. I know exactly what my triggers are that will make me sad or angry. I am predictable. There is no chance that I will crack or lose it anymore than the neurotypical population. I know reality vs nonreality. I know my limitations and how to work with it. I do not have psychosis nor am I a psychopath. I am neither a sociopath.
    Adults who are diagnosed as adults are typically introspective and sought answers to why we have struggled in some areas. We sought medical direction for an explanation. For me, it was why do I not fit in despite emulating others who appeared to be successful and what factors of the diagnosis as a 5th grader play into this. It was a relief to have the explainatiion.
    I will take this further. I am not inherently evil because I have ASD. I found that the side kick, ADD/ADHD posed more of a problem in my life than the autistic spectrum in itself. I am much more focused these days. I wished that I had known that much earlier as I think that things would have been easier if I had been more focused. Treatment for ADD/ADHD is quite simple and I feel like a light switch has been turned on. I am enjoying getting back into Computer Science and more focused than my first time around in Information Technology and Mathematics. I think the perceptual part was considerably affected by the ADD/ADHD. I seriously doubt that an adult on the Spectrum who was diagnosed as an adult would join ISIS or be a mass murderer.
    Now, we can speculate all day about whether Mr Paddock had Aspergers or otherwise on the Autism spectrum but at the end of the day, we simply don’t know. What if he had Schizophrenia or Psychosis instead? What if he had significant paranoia such that he thought that everyone was going to kill him? That would be a loss of reality. Maybe he was just an evil person. We should be compelled to not be hasty in stating that Paddock had Aspergers. The general population does not have an understanding of what the autistic spectrum or Aspergers is. In many cases, the first time they have ever heard of “Aspergers ” was in the news to describe school shooters.
    The lack of understanding of the autistic spectrum is tends to lead to stereotyping. You cannot stereotype a spectrum. The main thing with autistic spectrum disorders is that it comes down to communication and social skills secondary to communication issues. The remaining characteristics are that from a small sample of the autistic population. It is not a personality or behavioral disorder in itself. The danger in the lack of understanding this condition and the stereotyping is the assumption that we are all psychopath and sociopaths. The assumption that all who have been diagnosed with ASD are potentially violent and cannot follow direction has already prevented young adults to serve in the military because of the “what ifs”. Eventually, you will see a loss of other things as well. People with Aspergers/Autism will not be allowed to purchase a firearm then will not be allowed to hold a professional license. That will include medical license, law, CPA, engineering licenses, teaching certification and the list will go on from there. That will essentially eliminate anyone with Aspergers/Autism from most occupations. It will also take away the Second Ammendment from those diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism. Let’s take it a step further. Let’s prevent those diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism from getting a driver’s license and a marriage license. What if they drive their car into a crowd of people? In fact, since Aspergers/Autism is largely genetic then let’s make it illegal for someone diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism to reproduce.
    Let me remind you that most people with Asperger/Autism are nonviolent, law abiding citizens and many are professionals including medical, law, engineers, IT, among others.
    Once we assume that people diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism are capable of mass murder more so than the neurotypical population and other stereotyping then you might as well just strip the rights of all people diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism based on assumptions, stereotyping and “what ifs”. That will be a huge loss of the contribution these people do make to society.

26. As an adult with the Gift of Asperger’s, I utterly refute the terminology used to describe this condition. I am not a “brave victim of a mental illness,” and nor do I “suffer.” I have a different neurological operating system from the average Jane Doe, and am pretty bloody comfortable with it, thank you very much!
    To what end should Aspies be asked the question you propose? Thoughts and ideations are not crimes. Get a grip and stop finding Autism a root cause of all bad behaviour. It isn’t.

27. Demarcus says:

You are disgusting! Absolutely disgusting.

28. Toni says:

STOP ARMCHAIR DIAGNOSING EVERY MASS SHOOTER WITH AUTISM. I’m autistic and have zero history of violence. But this rhetoric you’re spreading is not new. I’m often afraid to show any autistic traits in public because people think it’s violent. I can’t even cover my ears when things are too loud. In the end you are encouraging suicide for autistic people. We are being taught that no matter what we do, we will be considered violent and dangerous. Meanwhile, allistic (non-autistic) people can make violent threats against us and no one takes it seriously. Really I had to leave my job because a man twice my size kept making violent threats against in front of my supervisor and she wouldn’t do anything about it.

So I’ll break down allistic logic for you:
    handflapping, rocking, covering ears = “OMG VIOLENT, LOCK THEM UP!”

death threats against a co-worker = “Oh, didn’t really mean it. No big deal.”

29. Annalise O says:

If you decide someone has a psychiatric disorder, then of course you’ll see characteristics in everything that they do! I STRONGLY disagree with your assessment, and it is a gross misappropriation of your “MD” status to make such wild claims without having seen the person in question, or administered a psychological assessment. I fear this article may do more harm than good (by way of whipping up media-driven moral panics) and further stigmatize adults with autism spectrum disorder.

Was it not Hippocrates who said, “first, do no harm”? I believe that is THE oath for medical profession. Perhaps you ought reflect on that a little more….

Autumn-Annalise, BA, GDC, MCounsPsychTh, PACFA (Psychotherapy College).

30. Rain Woman says:

Please let the forensic psychologists do their jobs and don’t jump to conclusions about Mr. Paddock’s condition. Autistic people are getting really tired of being blamed for incidents of violence. Maybe if they weren’t treated like fifth wheels to begin with, it wouldn’t lead to act-outs and arrests and all those other negative stereotypes that you drew upon to write this piece instead of doing any actual research (which is painfully obvious).

31. What a horrible, dishonest piece of writing, a real hate-stirrer that attempts to demonise an already marginalised group. So Paddock “lacked social graces” – anyone who hates people enough to want to kill 59 of them is heard going to care about social graces – but most people with Asperger’s do & are very keen to be polite and try not to be rude. People with Asperger’s / autism are generally significantly less – not more – violent than non-autistic people (and are far more often victims of violence and bullying than they are perpetrators). Collecting firearms is not an autistic trait. Autistic / Aspergers people are no more likely to own guns than anyone else. They are also no more “filled with rage” than any other category of people (except perhaps when they read despicable “articles” as this one). They do NOT “lack the ability for joy” (quite the opposite – I suggest you read Julia Bascom’s The Obsessive Joy of Autism, a beautiful piece of writing that sheds light on the wondrous joy that autistic & Aspergers people can feel). Also, you have no idea why Paddock’s two marriages failed, so to say it was “potentially” because he had Asperger’s (which he was never diagnosed with) is just completely dishonest. The only accurate comment in this anti-disability hate speech is that “It may not politically correct to say it but…” It sure isn’t, it is the sort of bigoted call to arms that could easily contribute to a climate of hate in which autistic people are targeted and even killed. It is important for people to remember that the first victims of the Nazis were not the Jews or gypsies. The first mass-killings of Nazi Germany were of disabled people, especially those with any mental / psychological disabilities, who were put on board buses and gassed, following a vicious propaganda campaign against them. The kind of simplistic vilification you are indulging in could easily lead to a climate of hatred. A really shameful article.

32. Further to my reply above, here is just one example of the kind of ignorant hatred you are recklessly stirring up :

“The gun didn’t pick up a gun and start massacring a people, an autistic nut did. In all recent mass shootings it was an autistic nut.” (posted by Peter Marcus in the Washington Post online, 5/31/2014″

There are just as many autistic people in Europe as in the USA but far, far less murders and mass murders. This would suggest it’s not autism but something else that’s to blame – how about the vast legal supply of lethal machine guns? And a brutal dog-eat-dog, winner-takes-all society probably doesn’t help either.

33. clg114 says:

After reading this rubbish I am so mad that I can not think of the words to describe how I feel. To me, it is amazing that the author claims to be a professional anything. Why not claim that he did because he is a white male. White males do all sorts of bad things, so maybe he did it because of that. It makes as much sense as claiming he did it because he might be autistic.

34. Merv says:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, he more than likely was a sociopath. In fact, he has been referred to as a sociopath and possibly a psychopath in ever other article written about him. Get your facts straight before posting inaccurate articles. Oh, he was a gambler, not a gamer, there is a huge difference between video games and video poker.

35. Interesting analysis. I came to the same conclusion yesterday, after reading an article on CNN which related part of a deposition Paddock made for a lawsuit he filed against a Casino. Aspergers is effectively baddly understood, and as most researchers have noticed, Asperger patient are often very kind, very amicable.
    But I do wonder what did trigger this reaction. You say you have often had patient with Asperger expressing anger. Scientific text do explain that they shift from being bullied to being bullies, depending on the circumstances.
    How did you address the problem? By putting them on anti psychotic medication or refering them to institutions?
    I have read that some of the problem in inhibition control comes from a shift in alpha-wave oscillations, and that EEG )electroencephalogram) therapy is very efective in modulating deviation of alpha waves in a frequency where they fail to stimulate inhibitory function properly.
    It appears that repetitive tasks, such a narrow focus, exemplified in playing video games or, in the case of Paddock, 12 to 16 hours a day of video poker, could exerce a strong reuntant affect which would provoke front lobe function collapse. Could it what happened here….or could his girlfriend have exploited his vulnerabilities?
    Obviously, his brother was unaware, it appears, of his condition…was paddock aware…was this the reason he had a doctor on “retainer” as he explained in his deposition?

1. For exemple:
      Lea Thompson (2009) discusses NeuroFeedBack therapy on 150 Aspergers patients over a 15 year period:
      …”The main objective was to investigate whether electroncephalographic (EEG) biofeedback, also called
      neurofeedback (NFB), made a significant difference in clients diagnosed with AS….The average gain for the Full Scale IQ score was 9 points. A decrease in relevant EEG ratios was also observed. The ratios measured were (4–8 Hz)2/(13–21 Hz)2, (4–8 Hz)/(16–20 Hz), and (3–7 Hz)/(12–15 Hz). The positive outcomes of decreased symptoms of Asperger’s andADHD(including a decrease in difficulties with attention, anxiety, aprosodias, and social functioning) plus improved academic and intellectual functioning,
      provide preliminary support for the use of neurofeedback as a helpful component of effective intervention in people with AS.”
      On the other hand, she appears to explain in another text of 2009 (Functional Neuroanatomy and the Rationale for Using EEG Biofeedback for Clients with Asperger’s Syndrome), that Math is not a talent of Aspergers, but language is, even if they may suffer speaking impediments, in: “The most common pattern is that Verbal IQ exceeds Performance IQ. However, some cases show the opposite pattern: strong Performance IQ (called Perceptual Organization on the WISC-IV) and the ability to excel in
      spatial reasoning and mathematics rather than in language based areas.” and…”Often the LD )learning disabilities)problems will involve having difficulty with organization, boundaries (physical ones and social ones), and with many aspects of mathematics (geometry, concepts relating to time and space). These problems are related to right hemisphere dysfunction.”
      Further, Gynnady G. Knyazev (Motivation, emotion, and their inhibitory control mirrored in brain
      oscillations, 2006) :”Thus, in a variety of developmental stages and pathological conditions a lack of inhibitory control and concomitant behavioral problems are associated with a relative decrease of alpha and/or increase of slow waves. Apparently, both inhibitory control and alpha oscillations develop later during the ontogenesis and are particularly vulnerable to a variety of detrimental influences. A straightforward interpretation of this evidence would be that oscillations of delta and theta ranges are associated with activation whereas alpha oscillations are a correlate of inhibition.”.

36. spatafora natalie says:

Dr Ablow, before you start making assumptions you should look up the definition of autism, It is not a mental illness. According to the National Institute of Mental Health ” Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is the name for a group of developmental disorders. ASD includes a wide range, “a spectrum,” of symptoms, skills, and levels of disability” . Here is the link so you can educate yourself
    “https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/autism-spectrum-disorders-asd/index.shtml

This man had a mental illness which is very different than autism He could have had both but they are not the same. No where near the same.

37. You sound like you have a mental illness placing a diagnoses on someone you have never met. You are catergorizing an individual into a medical diagnoses that takes many, many tests, exams and consults to achieve. Please re-think what you spew out and do not make your self sound like an idiot as you do here. I hope you lose business and patients, if you have any, and your license.

38. This is rubbish indeed because:

difficulties in life alone, or difficulties + Asperger = possibility to develop personality disorders, which can lead to violent harmful behaviour. Asperger has little to nothing to do with it. I find it therefore strange to ask the autistic community to try to prevent the problem, reminds me of:

-people complaining about Muslims because of terrorist attacks,
    -blaming black communities for gang violence.

They should update their beliefs, inform themselves at the source (us) then we can hope the public opinion will be more accepting and inclusive toward us. They are their source for their social, medical and cultural vision of autism.

39. Janet says:

No, Aspergers would not explain this. People with Aspergers tend to have a stronger sense of right and wrong due to their rigidity than we “normal” persons do. This person seems to have had a mental breakdown or illness, rather than simply a neurological difference.

40. Wendy Lubin says:

How dear you say this is autism . I am a parent of Autistic child . How dear you label a person you don’t know as autistic and because he was good at one thing isn’t autism ? It’s hard another to raise a child with autism ,by you saying this is autism you are putting down a whole Committee of people . With you calling this very bad man who you has other problems mentally . Look at his father that was called psychopath and was very violent in his crimes and was in jail . That what he has not autism . With you calling him that (Autsim) you are undermining all the work we do to bring our children out of their own world and into ours. As a parent we are trying to raise awareness to autism so the world will see that our kid are so wonderful people not What you are calling as autism you have set us back words to were people don’t what our children around . How dare you call this heinous act autism .

41. Monica Beaton says:

How in the hell do you dare to asume that!! Do you realize the damage you do to people in the spectrum when you write crap like that? Get real!!!!

42. Lisa hawks says:

This is an OUTRAGEOUS and deluded assumption. SHAME ON YOU.

43. Leslie Fuquinay Miller says:

You say you’re a doctor? Did you get that degree from Cracker Jacks or cereal?

44. michael says:

Medical ethics

The Associated Press has reported that Ablow “freely mixes psychiatric assessments with political criticism, a unique twist in the realm of cable news commentary that some medical colleagues find unethical.”[20] Ablow has, for instance, frequently diagnosed former President Barack Obama as having “abandonment issues,” without ever having met or treated the former president.[20] Ablow has asserted that Obama dislikes the United States, that he prefers Africa to the United States, and wants the United States to dissolve.[20] The Washington Post, in the middle of October of 2014, published an opinion-editorial which accused Ablow of having promoted a conspiracy theory that Obama wanted Ebola to spread to America because he wanted America to suffer as much as poor countries.[21][22] He publicly speculated, in a contribution he made to the Huffington Post on October 18, 2012, that then-Vice President Joe Biden had dementia after his 2012 VP debate performance.[23]

Ford Vox, a staff psychiatrist at the Shepherd Brain Injury Rehabilitation Center in Atlanta, said that Ablow’s attempts to connect his political views to medical analysis “is really just irresponsible and it’s embarrassing for physicians in general.”[20] Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons, and past president of the American Psychiatric Association, remarked sadly, “It is shameful and unfortunate that he is given a platform by Fox News or any other media organization. Basically he is a narcissistic self-promoter of limited and dubious expertise.”[20]

45. Cade says:

Oh, would you look at the time. It’s time to throw autistics under the bus YET AGAIN.

46. Dan White says:

I was thinking this as well. This out of the blue attack on strangers reminded me of some the loaners I’ve met who have a big hate of humanity . One had the idea of running his car though a crowd at high speed to kill as many as possible. He was really good at math but couldn’t seem to get a college degree in the subject. He died of lung cancer in 1989. Always left me with the impression of going nowhere fast.